Monday, February 11, 2013

Happy CNY

Its the time of the year again. 

Went house visiting today which made me pretty, well, irritated. 

I have this really huge bunch of super distant relatives and we make an effort to gather together so the elderly can meet each other to catch up. I belong to the 3rd generation there so I receive angbaos from the 2nd generation people.

This is the thing. I'm the only child in my family. Majority of my relatives have like at least 3 children in their family and there's one with 5 kids. Okay, needless to say, my parents will always be at the losing end, no matter when it comes to CNY or Christmas because the ones preparing the angbaos/presents are the parents but the kids are the ones receiving them. I'm the only child so my family only receives 1 angbao while my parents have to prepare like 124902835623578 angbaos per family. 

Not that I'm being calculative/stingy/petty or what. I know people say angbaos are like 意思意思 one, don't need to be too 计较 with the amount. But I'm sorry, I'm really very upset. Does anyone still receives $4 angbaos nowadays? I mean, if you're talking about 10 years ago, okay, I'm not surprised. But with the inflation and rising cost of living etc, what is $4 now? 

What made me so upset is that those who gave me $4 angbaos earn so much more than my family. If I have like, 3 siblings okay I can understand. But I'm the only child!!! Do you know how much more my parents gave them in their angbaos? Argh, twice the amount! 

This is really 亏大本 man.

No comments:

Post a Comment